There are those that teach that all you have to do is believe in Jesus and you will be saved. The Bible says in James 2:19 “Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.” Believing is not the sole criteria to attaining salvation.
There is only one basis of salvation and that is that we are saved by grace through faith in what Jesus has done for us. There is nothing we can do to merit salvation. Works will save no one.
Ephesians 2:8-10 “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.”
Romans 3:22-26 “Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.”
Romans 1:17 “For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”
Romans 5:1, 2, 21 “Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.” “That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.”
Romans 10:9,10, 13 “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Romans 3:28 “Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.”
Once again the BASIS of salvation is that we are saved by grace through faith in what Jesus has done for us.
G.R.A.C.E. – God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense.
Can one say that once they are saved by grace and their name is entered into the Book of Life, that they have a lock on salvation? Indeed NOT! That would be unconditional salvation and the Bible is very clear, Salvation is CONDITIONAL! The Bible gives us 5 conditions to salvation:
1. We must Believe – John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
2. We must Repent – Luke 13:3, 5 “I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” “I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.”
3. We must Confess - 1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
4. We must be Baptized – John 3:3, 5-7 “Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” “Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.”
5. We must keep the Commandments – John 14:15 “If ye love me, keep my commandments.” 1 John 2:3, 4 “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” Ecclesiastes 12:13 “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.”